9/13/07

Full Circle

I haven't seen Three Dog Night Dad in quite awhile.
There really is no great excuse.
Attempts have been made.
And for one reason or another, it just doesn't come to fruition.

Out of desperation, I phoned old Pop at about 4 p.m. Tuesday evening and said
Hey, Dad. It's Jess. Feel like stopping by for a bit on your way home from work?
He gobbled up the invitation.

We sat on the couch and chatted while the kids showed him every meaningless tidbit under the sun.
Meaningless as in Here, Pop-Pop! Look at this tissue!!! Here, Pop-Pop, look at this Cheerio on the floor that has been here since Connor's 6 month of life!!!
They were so excited to see him, they had to ply him with every object and object description they possibly could.

So there we are.



Father and daughter sitting on the couch.
Having a good old,long overdue talk.
All of a sudden, my dad stops listening.
His eyes avert to the right of me.
Something else has grabbed his attention.

At first I'm a tad bit alarmed thinking maybe that ginormous spider of ours has made it's way into the house.
Or worse yet, a mouse has been spotted (I'm freakishly afraid of the nasty buggers).

I look in the direction that has him so engrossed.
And it is this picture that has made it's way to the computer screen during the screen saver montage:

He sat there staring with the goofiest, most satisfied, longing, happy look on his face.I was speechless.
I didn't know what to say.

But as a mom, as a parent, I can only imagine what he must have been thinking.

8 ripples in the pond:

Girlplustwo said...

Tab, I've said it before, and i'll say it again, i totally love your dad.

flutter said...

Your dad is a doll. Just a total doll.

Beck said...

Oh, that's a beautiful post, Tabba.
Although I see my dad ALL THE FREAKING TIME. He practically LIVES in my house. Help me.

Trenting said...

Awww.. My dad is the best, I adore this man- That is a wonderful post about yours..

carrie said...

You and your Dad . . . a big hug for both of you.

Love this! Full circle indeed.

KC said...

Such a warm family-happy moment. Joy.

Pippajo said...

Hey Tabba,

I really, really need to tie myself to the desk chair and catch up on you. I am so far behind it makes my head hurt.

I have so missed reading your blog! I intend to get back into it this week: school is back in full swing, I am (nearly) fully recovered, and things have generally calmed down. I should be able to devote ample amounts of time to catching up on old friends soon. I'm sure there is so much to share!

I'll be back soon!

Aliki2006 said...

Beautifully retold, Tabba! and I love that picture--it says a thousand things.