12/24/06

Excellent Notion

First, let me say that I'm sorry I had to forego the 'Sunday Morning Song of the Moment' segment of my blog today. It's probably my favorite posting day. I look forward to sifting through the songs that are on repeat inside my noggin & sharing them with you. My devoted readers. My bloggy love-kins. I will make it up to you. I will. I've barely had the will and/or the energy to sit up-right today. I am fighting one nasty beast of an upper respiratory something-or-other. And I thought I would purge the following Christmas Eve thoughts & post a song post tomorrow or Tuesday.

I have been running through the drug-induced (OTC drugs) checklist in my mind. Everything is wrapped. Some stockings stuffed. The carpet cleaned. And two batches of so-so cookies baked. But I got to thinking about the gifts I have bought for my nieces and nephew. I got one practical gift, one toy gift and one book for each child. And then I got to thinking about the book as a gift. And how it probably is a crappy gift. That it'll probably get a few weird looks. I think back to the story that Rav has told me about how his Aunt gave him & all his brothers some hieroglyphics set or something. They all still joke about that gift & how horrible it was. Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn't. But what if the book-as-a gift garners myself as the 'Aunt who gives us books every year'. Is that bad? See, I have this think about books. Especially children's literature. Books of all kinds speak to me now. And they spoke to me as a child. And though my love of this may not be shared yet by my own children or my neices and nephew, wouldn't it be cool if, in years to come, I am remembered as the 'Aunt who introduced me to some really cool books.'? I guess I feel it is my duty to spread a little book-love. Just as I feel it is my duty to spread a little music love on Sundays (usually).

So, I don't know how the whole thing will go. I guess to some, a book is a lame-o gift. To me, there is no gift better than spreading a little book-love.

3 ripples in the pond:

Anonymous said...

I always give books at Christmas as well, even to my neice who didn't like to read. I can't imagine a world without books. Just finished a good one called "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides. Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Girlplustwo said...

books are terrific presents. the best.

hope your day was marvelous.

Pippajo said...

I am one of those people who always give books, too! I love looking for them at bookstores, love getting distracted while looking for them at bookstores, and love giving them to people, ESPECIALLY children! I used to give my nephew a book every year for Christmas, and once he picked up the present and said, "Oh, it's a book," like he was saying, "Oh it's a box of tissues," but I didn't care. If anyone is too ignorant or whatever to not appreciate a gift of a book, they deserve nothing else. Is that bad? Oh well.

Keep on booking people! It's a very good thing!

P.S. I gave 3 books for gifts this year and wound up keeping one I was going to give. I'm totally into the Weird NJ (and other states' editions) books right now. They creep me out deliciously.