1/6/07

Sunday Morning Song of the Moment


I'm pretty sure that I'm one of few Fiona Apple fans. That's ok. People don't know what they're missing(In my humble opinion). She has her flaws, sure. Most people do. But if someone can sing like she can and write lyrics the likes of which blow my mind up into a million tiny pieces than they're alright with me. I'm a music whore, I suppose.
All joking aside, from the minute I heard her voice way back in 1995-6 (I believe it was) I was hooked. This chick's voice is no joke.
I picked up her sophomore CD when it was first released (in 1998-9?). I was reluctant. With whatever was going on with her, I was afraid the music would suffer.
Nope. Sure didn't. There are so many songs I could chose from off of 'When The Pawn.....", but the choice for today is my anthem. It's like she opened up my soul, saw my life unfolding and wrote this song specifically for me. I have never felt that way about a song before or since.
Now, my favorite line of all time I have adopted from her: "You fondle my trigger, than you blame my gun."
Damn girl, exactly.
Despite her flaws, critics, or whatever I have never related to an artist like I can to Fiona Apple. And if I could sing like anyone, I think it would be her.
So, enough babbling on. Here are the lyrics.

A Mistake
Fiona Apple

I'm gonna make a mistake
I'm gonna do it on purpose
I'm gonna waste my time
'Cause I'm full as a tick
And I'm scratching at the surface
And what I find is mine

And when the day is done, and I look back
And the fact is, I had fun
Fumbling around
All the advice I shunned, and I ran
When they told me not to run
But I sure had fun, So
I'm gonna f*ck it up again
I'm gonna do another detour
Unpave my path
And if you wanna make sense
Whatcha looking at me for
I'm no good at math

And when I find my way back
The fact is I just may stay, or I may not
I've acquired quite a taste
For a well-made mistake
I wanna make a mistake
Why can't I make a mistake?

I'm always doing what I think I should
Almost always doing everybody good
Why
Do I wanna do right, of course
But do I wanna feel I'm forced to
Answer you, Hell no

I've acquired quite a taste
For a well-made mistake
Why can't I make a mistake
I'm always doing what I think I should
Almost always doing everybody good
Why

0 ripples in the pond: