1/12/07

This Just In....The Bottom Line

I have been slapped in the face the past few days with the following headline:
"Hollywood's latest accessory: Babies."


WTF!?!

Maybe I'm too sensitive. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole-hill. But somehow, someway it seems beyond wrong and sickening to compare human life to an arm/neckful of bling, the latest designer bag or the latest designer shoes. I mean, really. C'mon. It was bad enough when the latest accessory for a celebrity to carry were dogs. But now we've debased life even further by this outrageous, stupid headline.

I guess what bothers me about this, and it bothers me on many, many levels is that a) it's true. and 2)this is what "we" think of human life. I've done a few posts on humanitarianism and trying to think about each other and where we all are in the grand scheme of things. But this is demoralizing and despicable. It has just confirmed all of my worst fears: That human life is no more important and is just as dispensible as Dior's Fall Fashion line. The fact that life is something that will last only a season - a minute thought for a minute second. It is in today and out tomorrow. An innocent, completely insecure, totally dependant-upon -others- for -survival human being is now, merely, a decorative ornament.

It is just that novel of an idea. A precious, human life.
I don't think this country can sink any lower.

Not only does it confirm all of my worst fears about our society, culture, country. But it confirms the worst fears for those people out there in the rest of the world and what they think about Americans as a whole.



And that my dear friends, is

the bottom line.

I can't even begin to wrap my mind around this. It's frightening, frightening stuff.

3 ripples in the pond:

Girlplustwo said...

see, this is exactly why i love you. this right here.

Pippajo said...

You know, I have to agree. Our society has been heading down this road for quite some time, regarding human beings as disposable. And I believe the effects of this will linger for generations. We have only begun to feel the full effects of it.

It is truly very frightening.

Babies as accessories. How repugnant. What a sad commentary on our society.

Purr said...

Good post enjoyed reading this.