9/14/06

Thursday Thirteen Songs

I've never done a 'Thursday Thirteen' and may never again. Who knows. But because of Pippajo's theme, I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon. For now.

Thursday Thirteen Favorite Songs (as I can choose them today. Tomorrow would probably be different):

1. Natural Beauty - Neil Young
"A natural beauty should be, preserved like a monument, in nature. Don't sell yourself too short my love. Or someday you might find your soul endangered." Just a beautiful mantra that I try to recite often.
2. Lie In Our Graves - Dave Matthews Band
""When I step into the light. My arms are open wide. When I step into the light. My eyes searching wildly. Would you not like to be. Sitting on top of the world with your legs hanging free." The music in this song is just so upbeat and fun. And these first few verses just fit into an empty spot in my mind. If that makes any sense.
3. Long Way Home - Norah Jones
"Oh, I love you baby. More than the whole wide world. I'm you're woman. You know you are my pearl. So let's go out past the party lights. Where we can finally be alone. Come with me. We can take the long way home. Come with me, together, we can take the long way home." Sheesh. Beyond beautiful. This song was written by Tom Waits and Norah Jones sings it with such longing. I love, love, love it.
4. I Walk The Line - Johnny Cash
"I keep a close watch on this heart of mine. I keep my eyes wide open all the time. I keep the ends out for the tie that binds. Because you're mine. I walk the line." That song is perfection. There's nothing more I can say.
5. It's No Good - Depeche Mode
"Gonna take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above. In the God's decree. You'll be right here by my side. You can run. But you cannot hide. Don't say you want me. Don't say you need me. Don't say you love me. It's understood. Don't say you're happy. Out there without me. I know you can't be. Cuz it's no good." Ahhhh, spoken like a true, arrogant stalker. When I feel like I need to get my courage on, or feel like a bad-ass momma. I listen to this song.
6. Shiver - Coldplay
"So I look in your direction, but you pay me no attention, do you. I know you don't listen to me. 'Cause you say you see straight through me, don't you. On and on, from the moment I wake. To the moment I sleep. I'll be there by your side. Just you try and stop me. I'll be waiting in line, Just to see if you care. Did you want me to change? Well I change for good. And I want you to know that you'll always get your way. I wanted to say. Don't you shiver?" Good lord. There was a time when I could relate to more of that than I care to remember. It's so raw. And damn good.
7. No Other Way - Jack Johnson
"When your mind is a mess so is mine. I can't sleep. Cause it hurts when I think. My thoughts aren't at peace. With the plans that we make. Chances we take. They're not, yours and not mine. There's waves that can break. All the words that we say. And the words that we mean. Words can fall short. Can't see the unseen.......And know that if I knew all of the answers I would not hold them from you. No, all of the things that I know. We told each other. There is no other way......" This song reminds me of so many nights, laying, sighing, tossing and turning. Then looking over at my husband & we both unload. This song is beautiful from every simple note to every simple lyric.
8. We Are Nowhere and It's Now - Bright Eyes
"If you hate the taste of wine. Why do you drink it 'til your blind? And if you swear there is no truth. How come you say it like you're right? Why are you scared to dream of God? When it's salvation that you want. You see stars that clear have been dead for years. But the idea just lives on....." The song seems shrouded in confusion and contradictions, but in that are answers. To questions in my head that I've had for a long time. It's comforting to me.

9. Little Deuce Coupe - The Beach Boys
Not adding any lyrics here. The song reminds me of happier, simpler times.

10. Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
"Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend. I want to guard your dreams and visions.
Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rimsand strap your hands across my engines. Together we could break this trap. We'll run till we drop, baby we'll never go back. Will you walk with me out on the wire? `Cause baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider. But I gotta find out how it feels. I want to know if love is wildgirl. I want to know if love is real......" Awwww, sheeat. This song gave me goosebumps when I listened to it on my Rainbow Brite record player and it still does. Bry laughs at me everytime I crank this mutha out.
11. Satisfy My Soul - Bob Marley and the Wailers
"Oh please don't you rock my boat. Cuz I don't want my boat to be rocking. Oh please don't you rock my boat. Cuz I don't want my boat to be rocking. I'm telling that you oh I like it. Like it like this. So keep it steady like this. And you should know. You should know by now. I like it. I Like it like this. I Like it like this. You satisfy my soul. You satisfy my soul. Every little action. There's a reaction. Oh, can't you see. What you've done for me. I'm happy inside all of the time......." When I want to feel airy, light, and randy....Another simple, happy song.
12. Appletree - Erykah Badu
"See I picks my friends like I pick my fruit. My ganny told me that when I was only a youth. I don't walk around tryin to be what I'm not. I don't waste my time tryin to get what you got. I work at pleasin me cuz I can't please you. And that's why I do what I do. My soul flies free like a willow tree. Doo wee doo wee doo wee. And if you don't want to be down with me. You don't wanna pick from my appletree. And if you don't want to be down with me, you just don't wanna be down....." Damn, another mantra or two that I constantly sing to myself. And now Gracie enjoys it. So, we get down and get funky to that song.
13. You're My Best Friend - Queen
From the first time I heard that song, I loved it. Still do. I play it whenever I need to be reminded of all of the great people in my life.

0 ripples in the pond: