10/25/06

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Songs That I Love To Enjoy with Gracie:
1)'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' by Judy Garland - This is self-explanatory. Gracie 'gets' this song already. And everytime she hears it, it stops here in her tracks.
2)'Part of Your History' by Blue Merle - This song is sort of sad and sentimental. The first time I heard it, it just grabbed hold of me. I put it on one of Gracie's lullaby CD's. She loves it when I sing it to her.
3)'Didn't Leave Nobody But The Baby' - by Gillian Welch, Alison Krauss and Emmylou Harris - I first heard this in the movie 'O Brother Where Art Thou?' I was mesmerized (it was an effective choice then, for the 'Sirens'). I downloaded it right away and again slapped it onto a lullaby CD for Gracie. She walks around singing it all of the time and asks me to play it on our computer.
4)'Free Little Bird' by Lisa Loeb & Elizabeth Mitchell- The entire CD 'Catch The Moon' is charming. But the first time I heard this particular song, it reminded me of Grace. I don't think she's all that crazy about the song - but it fits her personality.
5)'Sweet Rose' by Matt Costa - One of Gracie's personal favorites. She sings along and dances to this one. I enjoy this one too and was excited to discover that it found a place in her little heart.
6)'Anthony' by Nickel Creek - Again, one of Gracie's favorites. When I first bought the album this song is on, I was bewitched by this little song. I guess Gracie was too. She used to refer to this song as 'Mmm Hm Hm' because she could not yet pronounce 'Anthony'. There is a section in this song that is hummed like that.....
7)'With My Own Two Hands by Jack Johnson & Ben Harper - I don't know that she 'likes' this song or not. But as a mom who wants her children to be aware of themselves in their community & the world, I felt that it is my responsibility to share such a great song.
8)'Dream A Little Dream Of Me' by Mama Cass - I just love singing this to her. Mama Cass's delivery of this song is so sweetly simple.
9)'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da' by The Beatles - We love to dance and be silly to this song. I always feel a 100 times better after singing and dancing along with her to this song.
10)'Get Rhythm' by Johnny Cash - As Gracie says, "Shake It". She really gets her groove on to this one. So does mommy! I love this song & it's basic message: 'Get rhythm, when you get the blues.' I find my best comfort in songs, so this is a no brainer to share with her.
11)'Gotta Get Drunk' by The Little Willies - Yeah, Yeah. Inappropriate?! Maybe a little. But she and I LOVE to jump around singing to this one. It's so fast-paced. And SO much fun!!
12)'The Long Way Home' by Norah Jones - We like to sit still and snuggle to this one. She rests her head on my chest and I quietly sing this to her.
13)'Buffalo Soldier' by Bob Marley & the Wailers - (of course!)The first Bob Marley song that she requests to hear.......over..............and over. That may be fleeting because I believe she is moving on to 'One Drop'(one of my favorites). But I was busting with pride at the fact that she enjoys this one so much. Could it be the horns??
Hmmmm..........

4 ripples in the pond:

Slackermommy said...

You're such a good mom.

Tabba said...

You're so sweet!

Pippajo said...

Oh, it's just so great that you two sing together and enjoy it so much! I have so many memories of my mom singing with me and I sing all the time to my kids. I like nothing better than hearing a sleepy child's voice ask, "Sing to me, Mommy."

Ours all seem to be Disney lullabyes. "Stay Awake" from Mary Poppins, "La la loo" from Lady and the Tramp, and "Baby Mine" from Dumbo.

In fact, for some reason, I could not sing "Baby Mine" after my son died. I never sang it again until My Boy was born. I'll never forget the first time I sang it to him in the NICU. It was like my heart came back to life.

Keep singing to them, they'll never forget it as long as they live!

Tabba said...

Awww, thanks Pippa! I totally forgot about 'Baby Mine'. She sings that one all of the time too. I don't know how it slipped my mind.
I understand how that one must have been too difficult for you to sing....
"La La Loo" is another one Gracie likes. You just reminded me of a bunch...And Gracie LOVES Mary Poppins.